Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Just the memory of an old Christmas card

This year I made all of my Christmas cards from 1940s vintage scrapbook finds.  Redesigning them, I used Mary Engelbreit graphics that were small and layered them on top of the vintage backgrounds for some,  other non-Mary graphics for others.  Stamps of holly or 'Seasons Greetings' and shiny silver chenille stems and buttons too.
I finished my card making early which was a blessing in disguise.  This little graphic looked like me this week when I realized I have 'lost' the month of December!
Santa is invited to our Christmas and I spent time making cut out cookies yesterday with the my grandlittle, the most spatially gifted three-year old on the planet!  That child can eye up a spot and fill every inch of rolled dough without overlapping cookie cutter marks!  At one point the dough was getting warm and when I picked up one of the kings he lost his head.  Three year old said, "Is that OKAY?"  I fixed the king, all was well.
There are spare garnishes left for next year on my craft table.  Paper craft has been exchanged for baking and wrapping, another extravaganza.  Norwegian Krumkaake, Kringla and Rosettes must be made in addition to cookies.
Ding! Dong! Ding! Dong! Christmas sleigh bells are ringing!  I found this leather strap of jing-tinglers for 2.00 at the thrift store, it greets me when I open my play room door.
My Christmas epistle included with the cards sent far and wide explains why some cards are signed by Einer and Rosemary and Sis Nina; they are the ultimate re-gift.  The people who sent those cards must be smiling to know that the greetings they sent 60 years ago live again during Christmas of 2012.  I was enthralled when the old cards included letters.  "He got his wings", "I'm working in the ordnance factory", "We are in Colorado now", the writers were real people working through rationing, growing Victory Gardens and taking care of their cars because the factories were producing war machines not vehicles.  It was an amazing, patriotic time in American history. 

19 comments:

  1. What fun Christmas cards, such a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so well organized to even make your own Christmas cards. How special. Love the images. Sounds like your cookie making adventures were loads of fun. I'm so behind on baking this year. I can't wait for the work/school week to finally end on Friday and Christmas break to officially start!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a great day with your grandlittle!! I'm looking forward to that with mine in a few years!!

    chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you made your own cards with vintage ones. Such a great idea. Your card treeis so cute. I'm glad you had fun making cookies with your Grand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cards all look so beautiful Tammy!! I just love those vintage ones! Glad you got some cookie making in!! :) I'm so excited for ours, I'm thinking we might start tomorrow evening!!! We are suppose to get a snow storm tomorrow through Friday, i'm so excited, and hoping we get snowed in! Christmas hugs! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Norwegian Krumkaake, Kringla and Rosettes ??????????? Tammy, I haven't had these items in years, Christmas cookies from my childhood! I remember my folks making the Krumkaake and Rosettes...my grandmother made the Kringla! Oh how I wish I was living in Minneapolis right now! :) Merry Christmas my dear friend....I have a small gift coming your way...:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't bear to part with the cards I purchased from you, so they are on the tree with the toy tags and shadow boxes. Such lovely graphics and I love seeing some of the decades old handwriting...it comforts me somehow. I was going to make sugar cookies today, but feel a bit achy and tired so I put the butter back in the fridge, put on my robe and finished reading a book...lol! I feel so lazy! I would love to someday experience the Scandinavian cookies you describe...our history and heritage are wonderful things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a lot of vintage family greeting cards but not Christmas ones. Love your re-purposed cards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cards are whimsical and special, Tammy! And the goodies you are making sound so good! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a genious when it comes to using a scissors and paper! I think it's magical that you gave so many vintage cards new life again this year! They will be enjoyed for years to come!
    Happy Holidays to you my Friend!
    Erica :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOve the cards, and the Christmas cookie making sounds like a lot of fun. Years ago, a friend in high school made Rosettes for me. It was the first time I'd ever had them and they were delicious. One of these days I'll have to get a hold of an iron and make my own. I do make Kringla. Wishing you a very happy Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! I saw your comment at Bargain Hunting (and chatting) with Laurie, and I immediately had to hop over to your blog....because of your Tammy doll! I ALSO HAD A TAMMY DOLL! So I am thrilled to "meet" someone else who did, too. They never caught on the way Barbie did, did they?! I have a "much older" sister who could sew beautiful doll clothes that were even better than store bought! I believe my Tammy doll is still alive and well....but packed away in my sister's or niece's "vintage" toys! At least I certainly hope so. I bequeathed Tammy to my younger niece when I decided I'd outgrown her....not realizing I would NEVER outgrow her! :) Thank you for sharing your lovely vintage finds and creations! Quite often on my blog, I have a Nostalgic Sunday post that you'd probably enjoy, too. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your card display is gorgeous! Love, love, love it:)

    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tammy, I love your creations. The vintage graphics are always so wonderful, and you have used them beautifully. I love your header, with the vintage car, driven by Santa. Wishing you and your family a wonderful Christmas and new year. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good Morning, Miss Tammy!

    Please share this if you have a moment:

    Knit? Crochet? Sew?? We are making scarves for the 80 staff members at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown. Please visit www.sentimentallyme.blogspot.com for information, and read up on my own family's connection to Newtown.

    Please help spread the word!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tammy I love your Christmas cards and how you brought them back to life.
    Merry Christmas
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this idea! So creative.

    May the peace, joy and love of the season be yours all year long!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Merry Christmas Tammy, It has been such a joy watching your confidence grow in your crafting skills. Your work is so lovely, and I am so happy you have shared it with us here. Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

You're the reason I'm blogging! Thanks for letting me know that you are here!