Thursday, October 4, 2012

Seasons Change

The window box had a facelift today.  The temperature was a balmy 79 degrees but the  red and white geraniums were replaced by the colors of autumn.  I started this tradition about 12 years ago, pictures for the homecoming dance were taken in front of the house and this was the backdrop; ah that was lifetimes ago.
I love to use the hydrangeas inside through the summer and as filler in the window box in the fall.  It amazes me how big they get, some the size of giant pompoms, others only six inches across or so.
I used to go and buy about $ 20.00 worth of squash and gourds.  Then I wised up and started using the faux stuff!  Reusable and much more economical since I pull the same bag of goodies out each year!
The Ash trees provided free fun for the little people.  A lot of jumping, throwing and falling ensued after the leaves were raked into a play pile!  When I was a little girl my mother showed me how to make 'leaf houses'; a square outline with a pile up for a chair, a bed, a couch.  We played outside for hours, not inside with a controller in front of a 60" television...back in the day.
Remember the window frame Mr. Wonderful built and the flea market chicken feeder turned planter?  The coleus loved the spot in the shade and grew into glorious colors.  This will be a repeat next year, I love how the colors look on the side of the hip roof shed that holds mower and bikes and yard supplies.
This garden around the pagoda (a nod to my Korean children's connection to Asia) in the backyard was planted with petunias but the ageratum were volunteers; they must have seeded themselves last year when this garden was part of the red, white and blue salute too.  I love that they grew bigger than any of the ageratum plants that I bought as annuals this year!
The heat of summer encouraged a lot growth (and a lot of watering flowers!), I finally got tired of dead heading the millions of petunias and let them go two weeks ago.  Initially the bunnies have a picnic but they must have found other things to graze on by now, they seem to be leaving them alone, I took the little fence off when I decided I was finished with deadheading flowers for an hour every night after supper!


15 comments:

  1. Hi there Tammy! Love your new header! Especially that old truck in there! :) ~Whenever I've changed mine I've always seen the "fit to window" button...hmmm? All of your flowers and plant boxes look gorgeous! I use to love playing in the leaves! Such good memories! :) Have a great day! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful and I love the leaf house story!! I never had leaves to play in growing up, but would love to know!! Sweet photo of the little ones!! Have a lovely, fall day! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memories of youth ... enjoyed yours as they brought to mind mine. your gardens are lovely. What a beautiful planted decor.

    Have a great weekend ~
    TTFN ~
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks soooo, soooo, autumney!!! Love it! Looks like the grands are having a ball!!!

    chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the changes you've made, Tammy. Everything looks just great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine did the same thing and it bugs me! If you get yours fixed, please share!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OhhhhhBEAUTIFUL! Love love LOVE your window box and other autumn pretties!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're a wonderful gardener, Tammy! I didn't do too much this year...need to be better next spring! Did get a good vegetable garden going, though--we've got LOTS of tomatoes!

    Your window boxes look fabulous!

    Wishing you a wonderful day, my friend!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. The window box is lovely. Everything looks so fall like, with all the leaves. I used to play in the leaf piles too-how much was that? Ours haven't fallen here yet, but I'm waiting. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is such an amazing window box - I just love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful window box, Tammy! I love all the wonderful colors...and especially the big hydrangea clusters!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have outdone yourself with the window boxes. I still haven't done mine. I've thought about buying "faux" this year. Every year my pumpkins get chewed on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tammy, Your Trick or Treat banner turned out wonderfully! I love all the layering of images. How lucky to have access to so many hydrangea blossoms. Your window boxes make such a special greeting to your home. Have a great weekend! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMGosh, your window boxes are stunning! Really, really pretty! Your garden too:)

    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tammy, your window box looks gorgeous! I love those giant hydrangeas. Your whole yard looks so pretty, and I love that picture of the children in the leaf pile. Have a good week. laurie

    ReplyDelete

You're the reason I'm blogging! Thanks for letting me know that you are here!