Sunday, March 11, 2012

Saturday (Evening Post) Spinner!

The photo display spinner is something I eyed on the Creative Breathing blogspot.  Miss Elizabeth is the most artistically inspiring woman I have never met!  She's my imaginary friend as I stalk her blog and drool over the paper craft creations that I wouldn't have dreamed up in a million years.  Go visit the Creative Breathing blog for eye candy and craft tutorials galore.



Once again, my stash of 1943-44 Saturday Evening Post magazines are pulled into action.  I sorted through the ads this time in search of small graphics suitable for a cut and paste project.  Since this magazine was published long before the days of computers, cut and paste on this little artistic endeavor really used scissors and glue!   The photo spinner comes with index cards to mount your photos to  display a collection of relatives, travels or other photography subjects.  

My vision in creating my spinner was to top each card with coordinating scrapbook papers and mount the graphics from the ads in sections.  Women's interest products came first and includes ads for Pyrex bakeware, girdles, a new 'Coolerator' refrigerator, Palmolive soap (14 days to a lovelier complexion!) and Campbell's soups.  The men's section includes ads for ink pens, auto products and shaving tools and soda pop.  



Setting the tone for my crafting I played Glenn Miller's big band tunes as I furiously cut tiny details from the advertisements one by one on the card stock.  Listening to "Don't sit under the apple tree with anyone else but me,"  I thought of the women who had their sweethearts sent to Europe, North Africa or the Pacific.  I read the magazine pages and listened to the music they would have heard on their radios over the 15 hours or so I spent cutting and pasting.  Rosie the Riveter went to work day after day in a factory and dreamed of the time when her soldier would come home and they would start a family and probably, live happily ever after.


The woman saluting her husband had a note from her employer included in the ad, it said, "She's doing a great job, Boss!"  Oh my, see what 60 years has done for woman kind!?

Don't forget to ask for your FREE sample of Verithin!
I was intrigued by the advertisements.  There was a  war bond statement on almost every company's ad.  Rationing was another topic and I smiled reading the statement, "Due to the paper shortage we encourage you to pass your Post on when you have finished reading it."  The Verithin Colored Pencil ad gave a mailing address to send for a free sample of the colored lead you would like to try.  Little Lulu was spokeswoman for Kleenex tissues.  Fibber McGee and Molly had their photo on the Johnson's Wax ads.  

My history lesson includes 40 different advertisements, some for products that no longer exist.  I had so much fun I may decide to add more cards later.

So now I am signing off, 'bye bye and BUY BONDS!'

4 comments:

  1. OH! Love this, I bought the items to make one of these, after seeing E's, but was never sure what I would put on it...this is perfect as I have a lot of these vintage WWII magazines also....once I get me room back together I am going for it! Thank you for sharing this with us!!!! :):) Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

You're the reason I'm blogging! Thanks for letting me know that you are here!